The inaugural Gourmet Gravel Nevada City - 17 June 2017
This is the day prior to the 57th annual Nevada City Cycling Classic Criterium and part of a NEW Nevada City Classic weekend.
- Start & Finish at ol'Republic Brewery, 124 Argall Way, Nevada City CA 95959
- 8:00AM Saturday 17 June 2017
- 5:30 - 8:00PM Friday 16 June 2017. Welcome party and packet pick-up - ol' Republic Brewery, 124 Argall Way, Nevada City, CA 95959
- Day of packet pick-up 6:30-7:30AM ol' Republic Brewery, 124 Argall Way, Nevada City, CA 95959
We will have designated parking for Gourmet Gravel Nevada City in the dirt lot behind ol' Republic Brewery. Please DO NOT park in the California Organics, SPD Market or any other local merchant parking lots. Access to the designated lot is through the main lot of 'ol Republic Brewery. Parking is frequently a challenge in our small Western Sierra Nevada town and we request that you respect the other merchants by not parking in their private lots.
TWO DISTANCES & ROUTES:
- The MOTHER LODE - 49 miles and 6,900+ ft of up/down. A mix of paved and dirt roads with the majority being Nevada County maintained dirt roads northeast of Historic Downtown Nevada City. The MOTHERLOAD covers all of The NUGGET route.
- The NUGGET - 29 miles and 4,000+ ft of up/down. A mix of paved and dirt roads with the majority being Nevada County maintained dirt roads northeast of Historic Downtown Nevada City
- Riding in/out of Historic Downtown Nevada City the average elevation gain or loss is 150 ft per mile when riding mixed terrain. This is only an average and some sections are closer to 200 ft per mile with sustained pitches over 18%. We consistantly average between 10-12 mph on these routes.
- The roads for Gourmet Gravel Nevada City are generally in good to great condition, although some sections can be a little rough. As did most of NorCal, Nevada County had a very wet winter and as of early spring we have a fair amount of rain ruts and potholes. GOOD NEWS! As of our last route recon on May 20th, Nevada County has started to blade the roads. Rock Creek, Grizzly Hill, Moores Flat, North Bloomfield (from Moores Flat to Snow Tent), Snow Tent and both sides of Purdon Crossing have all been "fixed". The route is a lot more smooth than in late winter/early spring
- Some of the descents can be a bit challenging as far as steepness goes. As always, we recommend caution, especially when descending Backbone Road (MOTHER LODE route only) and Purdon Road (both routes) heading down to the second and final crossing of the Scenic South Yuba River
- BIKE: Gravel bike, Cross bike or hardtail MTB. Recommend MTB if you are new to gravel or don't have a drop bar bike with appropriate gearing and tires. Road bikes discouraged due to gearing limitations and tire clearance.
- TIRES: 40c width tires are the preferred mixed terrain tires of the Nevada City Gravel Posse. TUBELESS highly recommended
- GEARING: Recommend at least 1:1 gearing (you will be happy about this climbing out of Purdon Crossing). We consistently ride lighter grears than 1:1 with the 1x set up using 40x42 or 42x44. With a 2x set up a 34x36 works well. You will not likely run out of gears going downhill.
Gourmet Gravel Nevada City is a fully supported non-timed participation event, We will have multiple aid stations with product from Clif Bar & SRAM NRS support. Participants who wish to have a finishing time can use Strava or similar.
POST RIDE PARTY:
We are fortunate to have our post race party an raffle at or sponsors HQ, ol' Republic Brewery, (124 Argall Way, Nevada City, 95959) right in the heart of the Seven Hills Business District (same location as the start). Post ride beverages provided with locally brewed ol' Republic beer including the first ever Nevada City Classic brew & locally made gourmet food. We will also have nonalcoholic beverages. All paid participants will receive a complimentary 'ol Republic brew of their choice or non-alcoholic beverage if you so choose, along with a catered lunch.